SACS looking for change in fortunes as August Southern Suburbs Derbies gets underway

# S/Subs Sch P W D L PF PA PD
1 Wynberg 14 10 0 4 465 343 122
2 Bishops 13 9 0 4 425 236 189
3 Rondebosch 14 8 0 6 360 384 -24
4 SACS 14 6 0 8 356 398 -42

It’s been tough at the top for South African College High School (SACS) in 2018. They have made the most of their two tours North, creating an initial positive impression of their prospects for the season by clean-sweeping rival at the Saints Easter Rugby Festival and later winning all three games in Zimbabwe during the second term break. However the Cape local season has been far less kind to them. With just two wins against WP B-league opponents, SACS are still chasing a WPPL scalp. During the Southern Suburbs derby month of August, they will have three last chances.


Match report from SACS


The South African College High School (SACS) played host to Paarl Boy’s High on a lovely winters morning in Newlands. After their loss to Oakdale Landbou last week SACS had high hopes of inflicting another defeat on their visitors. With “Inter-Skole” against Paarl Gimnasium next weekend Paarl Boy’s High were desperate to lay down a marker. They duly did so, winning by 25 points to ten.

Paarl Boy’s High started well and were camped in the SACS half for the quarter of the match. SACS defended and scrambled well. The pressure eventually told though. The dam wall had to burst and it did after nineteen minutes. High-tempo phase play seeing left-wing Javier Farmer go over in the right-hand corner.

Errors from kick-off receipts cost both teams three points soon after. SACS struck with a penalty via their left-wing Matthew Hayes, while fullback Trent Siversten landed one for the visitors. SACS had only one visit to the Paarl Boy’s High half and on thirty-one minutes Paarl Boy’s High converted more pressure to points when they kicked an offside penalty to extend their lead to 11-3.

Having soaked up much pressure SACS would have happily gone into the interval eight points down. With time up on the clock a missed touch kick gave Paarl Boy’s High one more chance to counter-attack. This ultimately led to a try for centre Quan Horn, which was converted to extend the half-time lead to 18-3.

This was to prove a crucial score as the second half was drawn seven-all. SACS were playing towards the school in the second half, like they did in their epic comeback against Paarl Gim in 2017, and were looking to raise those spirits but too many elementary errors continued to cost them.

The opening stages of the second half saw both teams unable to penetrate and proceeding were camped around the halfway line. Eleven minutes in though Paarl Boy’s High had a scrum inside the SACS quarter. Massive S.A. Schools No. 8 Evan Roos picked up and was stopped just short of the line. A few phases later his fellow S.A. Schools player, lock Emile van Heerden, crashed over.

At 25-3 Paarl Boy’s High felt comfortable bringing on some subs to allow their star players some rest before next week’s derby. SACS came into the game and began to attack with more success. Right-wing Kabelo Mokoena was their biggest threat and it was him who scored their try with ten minutes remaining. A deft grubber from lock Jordan Thomas allowing Mokoena to get over in the corner.

SACS had threatening line-breaks from scrumhalf Thurston Cloete and flank, and surely their man of the match, Jean Minnaar in the closing stages but were unable to convert either into points.

Paarl Boy’s High will need a more polished performance if they are to topple their local rivals next week and so will SACS if they hope to avenge their first round defeat to Bishops next week. Both games should be hugely entertaining.



Tries: Kabelo Mokoena
Conversion: Matthew Hayes
Penalty: Hayes

Paarl Boy’s High

Tries: Javier Farmer, Quan Horn, Emile van Heerden
Conversions: Trent Sivertsen (2)
Penalties: Sivertsen (2)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply