Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival 2018

1 Thu.29Mar Kearsney 25 26 HTS Middelburg SSL youtube link
2 Thu.29Mar Queen’s 10 14 Pretoria BH SSL youtube link
3 Thu.29Mar Glenwood 29 24 Drostdy SSL youtube link
4 Thu.29Mar Dale 05 15 Framesby SSL youtube link
5 Thu.29Mar Selborne 13 16 DHS SSL youtube link
6 Thu.29Mar Welkom Gim 28 03 Noord-Kaap SSL youtube link
1 Sat.31Mar Framesby 13 10 Pretoria BH SSL youtube link
2 Sat.31Mar DHS 24 07 Queen’s SSL youtube link
3 Sat.31Mar Kearsney 20 11 Noord-Kaap SSL youtube link
4 Sat.31Mar Glenwood 39 00 Dale SSL youtube link
5 Sat.31Mar Drostdy 22 14 Welkom Gim SSL youtube link
6 Sat.31Mar Selborne 33 19 HTS Middelburg SSL youtube link
1 Mon.02Apr Glenwood 24 10 Welkom Gim SSL youtube link
2 Mon.02Apr Noord-Kaap 08 30 Framesby SSL youtube link
3 Mon.02Apr HTS Middelburg 35 17 Queen’s SSL youtube link
4 Mon.02Apr DHS 39 00 Dale SSL youtube link
5 Mon.02Apr Drostdy 29 26 Selborne SSL youtube link
6 Mon.02Apr Kearsney 40 33 Pretoria BH SSL youtube link


KERF participation history






Kearsney College, who traditionally play the opening game of their festival, and visitors HTS Middelburg ran on to the Stott field in ideal conditions for this opening match.

After a jittery start, Kearsney gradually gained the ascendancy with both possession and field position. It took 15 minutes before the first score, after the hosts had crossed the line earlier, but the referee ruled the ball had been held up.

The first try was scored by fullback Jacques Odendaal when he received a short pass from flank Sibusiso Sangweni who had made the break. Taine Muirhead added the two points for a 7-0 lead.

Just five minutes later, after forward pressure in the Middelburg 22m area, a ruck on the try-line was won by Kearsney and the ball slipped over to Odendaal who dived over for his second try and a 12-0 lead.

After two missed penalty conversions, Muirhead added three points on the stroke of half-time for a 15-point lead.

Early in the second half, again after forward possession in the 22m area, hooker Reid Stuart barged over for Kearsney’s third try.

The Middelburg forwards began asserting some pressure, resulting in their first try, when wing Quintino October went over. A conversion by Morne Sonnekus narrowed the deficit to 7-20.

A quick tap from a penalty caught Kearsney off guard and the ball was passed through a number of hands to October who jinxed his way through passing to Lenard Olivier who outpaced the defence.

Eighth man Juandre Odendaal crashed over for their third try, sprinting 30m to score near the touchline. A good conversion by Sonnekus narrowed the gap to just four points.

Kearsney appeared to tire as Middelburg got a second wind and, in the final minutes, a handling mistake by Kearsney was pounced on by Middelburg centre Mariano de Villiers who ran 40m to score. Although the conversion went wide, they had won the game 26-25 in a game of two halves.
Point Scorers:
Kearsney: Tries J Odendaal (2), M Pretorius, R Stuart; Conversion T Muirhead; Penalty T Muirhead
HTS Middelburg: Tries Q October, L Olivier, M de Villiers, J Odendaal; Conversions M Sonnekus (3)


With temperatures rising, spectators were already heading for the shade by the second game. The match between Queen’s College and Pretoria Boys High never rose to the heights of the first match. The sides were evenly matched and mistakes on attack by both sides resulted in try-scoring opportunities going a-begging.

Minutes after the kick-off Pretoria were awarded a penalty which Justin Cross converted for an early 3-0 lead.

Midway through the first half, Pretoria sustained pressure by the forwards, and the ball was moved through a number of hands to hooker Richard da Costa. This time there was no mishandling, enabling Boys High to take an 8-0 lead which they held until the half-time break.

A break-away by Queen’s centre Siya Tyulu handed the ball to flyhalf Sinethemab Tshunu. There was good support by centre Enrique Oranje who received the pass, before he dived over in the corner.

Queen’s maintained their resurgence and another good handling movement resulted in Tyulu diving over in the right-hand corner to give them a 10-8 lead.

With five minutes remaining, Boys High were awarded a penalty over 40m out and Cross was able to put his team into a one-point lead.

Two minutes later a mistake in the defence by Queen’s led to another penalty just in front of the posts. Cross had an easy kick to increase the lead to 14-10.

Point Scorers:
Queen’s College: Tries E Oranje, S Tyulu
Pretoria Boys High: Tries R da Costa; Penalties J Cross (3)


The third match was expected to be closely contested between Glenwood and HTS Drostdy, two of the highest ranked sides at the festival. It did not disappoint with play moving from one end to the other.

Although the half-time score was 19-7 it could easily have been closer as Drostdy had their chances, but good Glenwood defence prevented them scoring more than a single try in the first half.

Glenwood opened the scoring when Drostdy, with the ball in hand, made a mistake and it was capitalised on by centre Conan le Fleur, the Glenwood SA schools’ player, who ran 20m to score. Their second SA schools’ player, Jayden Hendrinkse, added the extra points for a 7-0 lead.

Fullback Joe Jonas completed a good handling movement when he dived over in the corner for a 12-0 lead. Drostdy had also looked dangerous with the ball in hand but mistakes cost them dearly.

A little stab through resulted in a Drostdy line-out 5m out. The ensuing maul was controlled well by Drostdy and their eighth man CJ van Rensburg fell on the ball for a five-pointer. Cohen Jasper converted to leave the score 7-12.

Just on half-time Hendrikse forced his way over and, with his conversion successful, took Glenwood into halftime with a 19-7 lead.

Drostdy were the first to score in the second half after a successful box kick was gathered by wing Adrian Maans who showed good pace down the touchline to dot down in the corner, thereby narrowing the gap to 12-19.

Glenwood were not finished winning good ball from a ruck and it was spread to the left. Good inter-passing down the left flank ended in Hendrickse’s hands. He cut inside to score under the poles, giving himself an easy conversion and extend the lead to 26-12.

Going into the last quarter, Glenwood were awarded another penalty at a ruck which Hendrikse converted. Drostdy again had chances but poor passing and handling prevented them getting over the line until six minutes from the end; where they did get their movement with a five-pointer, converted by Jasper, to narrow the lead to 10 points.

A good long pass to Jasper on the right end in a consolation converted try in the final seconds of the game, leaving the score 29-26 in a fine game of top schoolboy rugby.

Point Scorers:
Glenwood: Tries J Jonas, C de Fleur, J Hendrikse (2); Conversions J Hendrikse (3); Penalties J Hendrikse
HTS Drostdy: Tries C Jasper, A Maans, CJ van Rensburg (2); Conversions C Jasper (3)


Two Eastern Cape schools Dale College and Hoerskool Framesby faced each other in the fourth game of the 11th Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival.

An almost score-less first half, where neither school gained dominance, had most of the rugby being played between the two 22m areas.

When Framesby looked as if they were gaining some dominance in possession, it was Dale with a kick ahead on the halftime whistle that led to the first points. Fullback Emile Matsinya chased, getting his hand on the ball before the Framesby defence for the try and a 50-0 lead at halftime.

The game livened up in the second half when Framesby scored twice in the third quarter. The first was by forward Rikus Smith after a ruck, and the second by wing Luan Ras after inter-passing between Ras and Sebastian Brand as they ran 50m down the left touch line, beating the defence with good passing.

Framesby scored their third try from a maul following a lineout after a long kick downfield which found touch just in front of the corner flag. Flank De Wet Erasmus came up with the ball after the rolling maul. The conversion was again wide but their lead had increased to 15-5 which remained as such to the end.

Point Scorers:
Dale College: Try E Matsinya
Framesby: Tries J Draai, R Smith, D Erasmus


The penultimate match of the first day saw the breeze strengthening, clouds coming in and a welcome drop in the temperature. Durban High School (DHS) and Selborne College from East London met in a dual of thrusts and parries.

It took sometime before the first points were scored, with DHS wing Malusi Ntuli converting a penalty. Selborne flyhalf Thomas Bursey replied a few minutes later and the score remained 3-all until DHS scored a try just into the second quarter. A cross-kick to the left saw two DHS players almost gather the ball, but the favourable bounce ensured centre Darren Booysen first to the ball for a try.

DHS, with an 8-3 lead, then increased it to 11-3 when Ntuli added his second penalty just before the break.

Ten minutes into the second half DHS front row forward Marcel Nel went over following a ruck. Again, the conversion went wide but the lead had increased to 13 points.

Selborne at last managed passes without mistakes, to send centre Likhaya Tengimfene over in the corner. This brought Selborne to 8-16 but they were playing with greater intent.

They camped in the DHS half for 10 minutes but were unable to make it count. Just three minutes from the end, Selborne prop forward Jacques Goosen barged, over but an easy conversion was missed.

DHS held on for a 16-13 lead in an exciting finish with Selborne striving for a win.

Point Scorers:
Selborne College: Try C Tengimfene, J Goosen; Conversion T Bursey
DHS: Tries D Booysen, M Nel; Conversions M Ntuli (2)


The final match of the day at Kearsney, between Noord-Kaap and Welkom Gimnasium, was full of movement and greater continuity than the two previous matches, adding to the enjoyment of the spectators.

Noord-Kaap were attacking when an error enabled Welkom to move the ball from the in-goal area. Two passes out to the right found wing Apla de Kock, who made 60m down the right touchline before passing inside. Left wing Marno April needed a 30m sprint to score under the poles for the try of the day. The conversion by FC du Plessis was successful for the Eastern Free State visitors to lead 7-0.

They continued to out-muscle and out-pace Noord-Kaap and another midfield mistake by Noord-Kaap was picked up by lock Husayn Banzi who drove his way 50m to the try-line, handing off three attempted tackles. Another successful two points by Du Plessis put them 14-0 in front.

Noord-Kaap managed to get on the scoreboard with a long-range penalty by Seanriq Daniels. This was followed immediately by a try after a 50m run by right wing De Kock for his second and a 21-3 lead going into the break.

There was no let up by Welkom in the second half and they continued to dominate. A missed attempted clearance by a Noord-Kaap kick was spread left across the field finding April who evaded two tackles and side-stepped his way past the final defence to score. Again, the conversion successful, to put them 28-3 ahead.

Noord-Kaap had their most successful period of the game going into the last quarter when they spent 10 minutes in the Welkom 22m area. However, good defence by Welkom kept them at bay.

Thereafter both sides were unable to add to the 28-3 score; and so ended a successful first day at the festival. 

Point Scorers:

Welkom Gimnasium: Tries A de Kock, M April (2), H Banzi; Conversions FC du Plessis (4)

Hoerskool Noord-Kaap: Penalty S Daniels





In contrast to the heat of the first day of the festival, Day 2 started with mist rolling in over the Stott field. The first half, between Pretoria Boys and Hoerskool Framesby who had both won their fixtures on Thursday, was played largely between the two 22m areas.

There appeared no game breakers in either side, so good defence prevented players breaking away. It was 13 minutes before Pretoria broke through into the Framesby 22m area, but they were thwarted from scoring.

At half-time Framesby led 6-3 after two well-struck penalties by fullback Peter Scholtz, to one by Pretoria’s fullback Justin Cross, the latter just on half-time.

The game livened up when Pretoria flyhalf Dylan Thompson ghosted through a gap, sprinting to score the first try of the game. This was converted, again by Cross, for a 10-6 lead.

Framesby forwards powered their way to the Pretoria line and, with some pick and go, keeping the ball in hand, prop Morne Prince forced his way over. The conversion was taken by Andre Gerber to put the Eastern Cape side back into a 13-10 lead.

Light drizzle made the ball slippery, but Framesby managed to hold on to their narrow three-point lead in an evenly contested and exciting contest.

Point scorers:

Hoërskool Framesby: Try Morne Prince; Conversion Andre Gerber; Penalties Peter Scholtz (2)Pretoria Boys High: Try Dylan Thompson; Conversion Justin Cross; Penalty Justin Cross




With the mist thickening, much of the game between Durban High School (DHS) and Queen’s College was played with spectators struggling to see across the field. Despite the wet conditions, handling on both sides was good.

It was Queen’s who dominated the first quarter and they were rewarded with a try when scrumhalf Aviwe Kanuka broke from a scrum, passing to his flyhalf Sinethemba Tshunungwa, who broke through several tackles to score close to the uprights. Kanuka added the points for a 7-0 lead.

DHS, who had missed one penalty at the posts when it hit the upright, then converted from closer to the touchline and Shakur la Douce opened their points to trail 3-7.

Both sides had further opportunities, but it was not until a few minutes from half-time that a Queen’s player lost the ball in a ruck close to the goal line, and DHS flank Asande Mnguni toed the ball forward and fell on it over the goal-line for a 5-pointer. It was well covered by La Douce to take DHS into a 10-7 lead at the break.

The mist thickened even further and it became difficult even to see halfway across the field. Going into the last quarter with 14 players after a yellow card, DHS won ball, swung it to the right with scrumhalf Jaydian Cedares running wide and an inside pass to fullback McNeil Jenner who went over for a try. This was again converted by La Douce for a 17-7 lead.

With just three minutes remaining in the game, DHS, with some enterprising passing, moved down the left for hooker Stoney Stenekamp to score a try in the corner. La Douce again slotted the kick for DHS to win 24-7.

Point scorers:

DHS: Tries Asande Mnguni, McNeil Jenner, Stoney Stenekamp; Conversions Shakur la Douce (3); Penalty Shakur la Douce
Queen’s: Try Sinethemba Tshunungwa; Conversion Aviwe Kanuka



With slightly more visibility, the third match of the day between home side Kearsney College and Hoerskool Noord-Kaap was another closely contested game.

Kearsney opened the scoring after 12 minutes when some sustained pressure saw flyhalf Taine Muirhead pop a pass to fullback and KZN u19 Sevens player Jacques Odendaal to dummy and go over in the corner, giving the hosts a 5-0 lead.

Noord-Kaap equalised a short while later when their livewire scrumhalf Craig Ockhuis broke from the base of the scrum to dive over for an unconverted try.

Kearsney went into an 8-5 lead which they held until the break, when Odendaal converted a penalty.

During the second half the mist thickened and swirled again. Despite the wet conditions, handling by both teams was good and some enterprising backline movements were enjoyed by the crowd.

Kimberley player DS van Niekerk converted a penalty to level the scores at 8-all.

The home side took the lead again to 13-8, when hooker Reid Stuart scored after a ruck.

Noord-Kaap again narrowed the gap when Van Niekerk kicked a long-range penalty, but it was Kearsney who were dominating the forward exchanges and winning greater possession.   They were rewarded when Odendaal sent a long pass out to the left, finding eighth man and captain Andrew Harding unmarked. Harding obliged by running 10m to score in the corner. This time Odendaal split the uprights with a good kick to take a 20-11 lead, which they held to the final whistle.

Point scorers:

Kearsney: Tries Jacques Odendaal, Reid Stuart, Andrew Harding; Conversion Jacques Odendaal; Penalty Jacques Odendaal
Noord-Kaap: Try Craig Ockhuis; Penalties DS van Niekerk (2)



Glenwood came into this match against Dale College as favourites, but Dale can hold their heads high as in the first half they played the typical Dalian way.

They tackled and, with ball in hand, made metres; but it was Glenwood’s SA schools player and scrumhalf Jaden Hendrikse who was their general. His passing, his relieving kicks and general management on the field held Dale at bay.

Hendrikse’s long range penalties and the conversion of lock Lunga Ncube’s try gave Glenwood a 13-0 lead. It was only in the final 10 minutes of the first half that they increased their halftime lead to 25-0.

With Dale on attack, a dropped ball was picked up by Glenwood. Straight running, with support on either side of the ball carrier, Hendrikse was the final recipient. He sprinted the final 20m to score, but this time missed a relatively easy conversion.

On the stroke of halftime, hooker Jhaques Thyssen powered over from a ruck following a lineout. This time Hendrikse added the extra points for their 25-point lead.

It took Glenwood another 14 minutes into the second half to score their next points. They came from a solo effort by eighth man Freddie Slabbert who jinxed his way through the Dale players to score from 40m out, giving Hendrikse an easy conversion and the team a 32-0 lead.

Just two minutes later Glenwood were on attack again and this time the ball was spread rapidly through the hands from right to left, where wing Aaron le Roux completed the move for a try in the corner. Hendrikse again added the extra points with a pinpoint conversion, giving Glenwood a 39-point lead.

In the final few minutes Dale gave of their best, but Glenwood prevented them making any progress. The final whistle and a score of 39-0 showed the dominance of Glenwood. Dale, however, played far better rugby than they had on the first day against Framesby.

Point scorers:

Glenwood: Tries Jayden Hendrikse, Lunga Ncube, Jhaques Thyssen, Aaron le Roux, Freddie Slabbert; Conversions Jayden Hendrikse (4); Penalties Jayden Hendrikse (2)



With the weather closing in again, conditions became more difficult. The match between HTS Drostdy and Welkom Gimnasium was expected to be the match of the day, but the game did not rise to expectations, as it was only later in the second half that greater continuity in play ensued.

Drostdy spent the first 10 minutes of the game in Welkom’s half of the field and eventually the pressure paid when SA u19 Sevens player Christie Grobbelaar broke through for the first try of the game. This was converted by Shaun Baxter for a 7-0 lead.

Welkom had their chances but could not get through and it was a penalty by flyhalf Ryan Davids that narrowed the deficit to 7-3. A further two penalties were traded to leave the halftime score 10-6 in favour of Drostdy.

Conditions deteriorated further in the second half with both sides making valiant attempts to score. Midway through the half, Drostdy livened up proceedings with a breakaway, but good defence from Welkom stopped them on the try-line.

A second try was scored by Drostdy when lock Andre Nel scored in the corner after a surge downfield to give Drostdy a 15-6 lead.

Welkom hit back almost immediately and it was wing Apla de Kock that beat a number of tackles to score an unconverted try, narrowing the gap to 11-15. Davids converted another penalty with four minutes remaining to make it a one-point lead to Drostdy.

Drostdy fought back and it was flank Benicio Kamfer who received the pass on the right wing, evaded a tackle and when brought down just short, stretched an arm to score. This was well converted by Baxter for a good 22-14 win.

Point scorers:

Drostdy: Tries Christie Grobbelaar, Andre Nel, Benicio Kamfer; Conversions Shaun Baxter (2); Penalty Shaun Baxter

Welkom Gim: Try Apla de Kock; Penalties Ryan Davids (3)



The final game of the second day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival saw Selborne College take on HTS Middelburg. The plattelanders played in conditions that they were not familiar with and it was Selborne that dominated with the ball in hand and territorially.

It took Selborne just a few minutes to open the scoring when centre Mnombo Zwelendaba broke through the defence to give Thomas Bursey an easy conversion and a 7-0 lead. Bursey added a penalty shortly after to increase the lead to 10-0.

After spending most of the time in the Middelburg half, a forward move saw prop Nolan Kemp burst over the line for a try. This time the conversion went wide. A minute later centre, Sibabalwe Xamlashe stepped through a gap passing to the supporting lock, Dean Stokes, who powered over the line. This time Bursey converted. The lead was extended to 27-0 when Zwelendaba scored his second try.

Middelburg played their best rugby of the half in the last few minutes after two attacks on the Selborne line being stopped just short. This left the half time score at 27-0.

Early in the second half Bursey converted a penalty to increase the score to 30-0. Middelburg were playing with more intensity following the break and a good 70m run down the left touchline by Leonard Olivier saw him scoring under the posts for Morne Sonnekus to convert.

Bursey added a long range penalty to increase the score to 33-7. With 14 minutes left on the clock.

With just five minutes remaining Middelburg had another good period of play, putting pressure on Selborne and keeping them pinned in their 22m area. This resulted in a try by centre Joubert Willers with Sonnekus converting – 14 points to Middelburg in the second half.

With time up on the clock, Selborne were attacking, but a mistake allowed Middelburg to counter with a kick ahead and a chase. Quintino October got to the ball first and dotted down for a try which narrowed Selborne’s lead to 33-19. 

Point scorers:

Selborne: Tries Mnombo Zwelendaba (2), Nolan Kemp, Dean Stokes; Conversions Thomas Bursey (2); Penalties Thomas Bursey (2)
Middelburg: Tries Lenard Olivier, Joubert Willers, Quintino October; Conversions Morne Sonnekus (2)




The final day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival opened with two sides in the top four of the games thus far. Glenwood, undoubtedly the top team of the festival, and Welkom Gimnasium, making their debut at this 11th annual festival. Despite having lost against HTS Drostdy on Saturday, Welkom was one of the better sides at the festival.

It took Glenwood just four minutes to open the scoring when centre Bani Holtshauzen broke through, rounded the defence, scoring behind the poles. Dylan Pretorius converted for a 7-0 lead.

This caused Welkom to up their game and they kept Glenwood in their own half for the middle of the half. One penalty attempt hit the upright and a second penalty a few minutes later from 42m was converted by flyhalf Ryan Davids. They did reach the red zone, but Glenwood defences held and in the last five minutes of the half, Glenwood’s Pretorius added three points to make the score 10-3.

Glenwood then almost scored and from the 5m scrum the ball was moved quickly and flyhalf Pretorius made a break. With two defenders on his back, he forced his way over between the uprights, to make his conversion an easy kick and a 17-3 half-time lead.

Ten minutes into the second half, after some to and fro play, a 5m scrum after Glenwood had been awarded a penalty resulted in scrumhalf Joe Jonas diving over. Well converted by Pretorius, this extended the Glenwood lead to 24-3.

Glenwood had dominated and appeared to take their foot off the pedal as the game stuttered for the remainder of the half.

With all the Glenwood reserves playing, ahead of the team travelling to the international tournament at the Paarl Boys High 150th celebration, they were content to see off play. But it was a steal by Welkom in their own 5m area, and a kick ahead by Marno April, that resulted in him scoring the final try. This was converted by Davids, to make the final score 24-10 to Glenwood, for the Green Machine to end the festival unbeaten.

Point scorers:

Glenwood: Tries Bani Holtshauzen, Dylan Pretorius, Joe Jonas; Conversions Dylan Pretorius (3); Penalty Dylan Pretorius

Welkom: Tries Marno April; Conversion Ryan Davids; Penalty Ryan Davids



On a beautifully warm day, the second match was between Port Elizabeth’s Hoerskool Framesby, who had won both their prior matches, and Hoerskool Noord-Kaap from Kimberley, who had yet to win a game.

Framesby had the heavier forwards and they were more dominant in the broken phases of play. Noord-Kaap was left to largely feed on scraps.

Two tries were scored by Framesby, the first by flyhalf Juandre Liebenberg and the second by centre Sebastian Brandt, after a favourable bounce. The first was converted by Liebenberg put them 12-0 ahead.

Both sides then traded penalties, Liebenberg for Framesby and DS van Niekerk for Noord-Kaap, to leave Framesby 15-3 ahead. After some forward dominance, centre Brandt went over for his second try.

On the half-time whistle, Noord-Kaap managed to put some passes together which gave centre Tiaan Swanepoel some space, and he outpaced the defence to score the try of the game. It left an 8-20 score-line going into the break.

The second half was evenly contested until a few minutes from the end. A possible try by Noord-Kaap centre Elzandro Fredericks after a 70m sprint was nullified after a call by the assistance referee for an illegal tackle.

This gave Framesby a second wind and they attacked, resulting in centre Brandt breaking. He was tackled on the try-line, but supporting flank Christo Grobler was on hand to dot down, resulting in a 30-8 lead and final score to win.

Framesby will return home having won all three of their matches the festival. Noord-Kaap will rue their handling and passing which ultimately cost them their three games.

Point scorers:

Framesby: Tries Juandre Liebenberg, Sebastian Brandt (2), Christo Grobler, Monray Potgieter; Conversion Juandre Liebenberg; Penalty Juandre Liebenberg

Noord-Kaap: Tries Tiaan Swanepoel; Penalty DS van Niekerk



It was an entertaining first half in the third match between HTS Middelburg and Queen’s College. The latter had lost both their games, whilst Middelburg had a narrow one-point win against Kearsney in their first match.

Middelburg were the dominant side for the first quarter and went into a 7-0 lead after a good driving try by eighth man Juandre Odendaal, converted by Morne Sonnekus.

The second quarter saw Queen’s becoming more confident with the ball in hand and they managed two tries to lead 12-7 at the break. The first after Siya Tyulu passed out to flank Chumani Gatyeni. Tyulu was again the play maker for the second try, this time passing inside to wing Liyabona Maku who dived over. It was converted by Aviwe Kanuka for their 12 points.

Middelburg regrouped at the break and came out looking the better team. They made less mistakes, dominating loose play. Three tries were scored, two from Queen’s mistakes – the first after a good line movement when Odendaal scored his second break through two tackles.

The second came from a lineout with Queen’s not gathering, and hooker Edwin Till was first to the ball.   The third was when Odendaal scored his hat-trick with a bullocking run from a Queen’s handling mistake. Two were converted by Sonnekus to give them a 31-12 lead. The final try by Middelburg was scored by flank Franco Fourie after a long overhead pass.

Queen’s had the last run of play when Odwa Mfeka ran down the middle of the field to score and bring them to a respectable 17-35 loss after an entertaining game.

Point scorers:

Middelburg: Tries Juandre Odendaal (3), Edwin Till, Franco Fourie; Conversions Morne Sonnekus (5)

Queen’s: Tries Liyabona Maku, Chumani Gatyeni, Odwa Mfeka; Conversion Aviwe Kanuka



In the fifth match of the final day, unbeaten DHS faced Dale College who had lost both their earlier festival games. It was the KZN side which dominated the first 10 minutes with a penalty by Shakur la Douce, and then a converted try after Dale had passed back and had to dot down for DHS to have a 5m scrum.

From an ensuing ruck, prop Mthokozisi Gumede found is way over with La Douce adding the extra points, to take a 10-0 lead.

Dale were struggling to keep ball in hand and, with a brisk breeze behind DHS, they kept Dale in their own half. The Border team did have the occasional visit to the DHS 22m area, but their handling let them down.

In the second quarter it was DHS who scored a further three times. Lock Setjhaba Mathuse, after inter-passing among the forwards scored first; then it was centre McNeil Jenner who finished a move started by Zethembe Mbonambi after a favourable bounce. In the final minutes of the half their SA schools loose forward Celimpilo Gumede ran through a tackle to score, this time converted by La Douce, for a 23-0 lead at the break.

Dale improved their play but again lost ground when passes did not go to hand. With the wind direction across field they did not get much advantage from that. It was DHS with a kick ahead, a favourable bounce and Gumede was first to dot down. La Douce converted and DHS had increased their lead to 34-0.

With just over two minutes remaining, DHS had a good passing movement down the field and fullback La Douce was on hand to dive over for their last try and a 39-0 win.

Although this was a game where DHS dominated, Dale did not take their chances and could not hold their passes.

Point scorers:

DHS: Celimpilo Gumede (2), McNeil Jenner, Shakur La Douce, Cetjhaba Mathuse, Mthokozisi Gumede; Conversions Shakur La Douce (3); Penalty Shakur La Douce



The penultimate festival match, between Selborne College and HTS Drostdy, saw the East London side dominating position for the first 20 minutes. The Worcester team struggled to get their hands on the ball and, when they did, they were cut down.

Selborne went into an early 10-0 lead following a penalty by Thomas Bursey, followed by a try scored by centre Sibabalwe Xamlashe, converted by Bursey.

A second penalty by Bursey, followed by a strong run by prop Shakeel Naidoo, again converted by Bursey, left Selborne well in control and looking comfortable with a 20-point lead.

Drostdy gradually began winning more ball and with this became far more competitive. Their first try came five and a half minutes from the break, when flank Heinrich Naude scored following a lineout. Just two minutes later, Naude scored his second try after some good inter-passing. This was converted by Shaun Baxter for the deficit to be cut to eight points and a Selborne 20-12 lead at the break.

Bursey increased Selborne’s lead with his third penalty, but it was Drostdy who were looking the stronger. A yellow card for a high tackle saw Drostdy opting for a lineout rather than three points. The subsequent rolling maul found hooker Stefan Schwartz in possession to score as they crossed the try-line.

Another penalty conversion by Bursey took Selborne to 26-17 ahead. Just going into the fourth quarter Drostdy moved down the left and fullback Cohen Jasper scored a good try in the corner. This was well converted by Baxter to narrow the gap to 24-26.

The game really came alight in the last 10 minutes with both sides striving to score. Two chances by Drostdy went a-begging. Then, in the last seconds after setting up a line-out, driving and moving the ball, wing Keane Gelant was found unmarked on the left. Selborne managed to stop him but from the ruck centre Keane Gelant forced his way over in a mass of bodies, to give Drostdy a 29-26 win in an extremely exciting and excellent game of rugby.

Point scorers:

Drostdy: Tries Cohen Jasper, Heinrich Naude (2), Stefan Schwartz, Keane Gelant; Conversions Shaun Baxter (2)
Selborne: Tries Sibabalwe Xamlashe, Shakeel Naidoo; Conversions Thomas Bursey (2); Penalties Thomas Bursey (4)



The closing match between hosts Kearsney and Pretoria Boys High was a high scoring game with 11 tries. Both teams had won one match and lost the other, so there was an incentive to win their second game at the festival.

After early pressure by Boys High, it was Kearsney who opened the scoring when hooker Reid Stuart dived on to the ball after some jittery handling by Pretoria. This was well converted by fullback Jacques Odendaal for the 7-point lead.

Kearsney were arguably having the better possession and their second try came at the end of the first quarter when flank Taine Polzi dived over.

Pretoria, who had got close but the defence held, had an intercept with Kearsney on attack and flank Kgala Mothomogolo ran 40m to score under the uprights, converted by Justin Cross for their 7 points.

Almost immediately Kearsney struck back when centre Derick Marshall used his strength to burst through and add another 7 points. With Odendaal’s conversion, they had a lead of 19-7 at the break.

Early in the second half wing Christo Scheepers dotted down, again well converted by Odendaal to extend the lead to 26-7. Pretoria struck back as centre Sithembiso Motlaletsa got through for a try in the left corner. Cross kicked a good conversion to increase their score to 14 and reduce the lead to 12 points.

With 16 minutes remaining Boys High again pressurised the Kearsney line and scrumhalf Aiden Olivier scored in the same corner. Cross converted again to bring the scores closer at 19-26.

The tension was mounting and the home crowd cheered loudly when Kearsney were awarded a penalty 30m out. However, Odendaal just didn’t curve the ball enough for the three points.

There was relief for the home supporters though, when a good line movement, with Odendaal making a break, dummying and passing to Taine Muirhead, who rounded the defence to score under the crossbar. Odendaal added the extra points and Kearsney led 33-19 with six minutes remaining.

The game was not over and Boys High came back with a try by Kgala Mothomogolo well converted by Cross, making the score 33-26.

Kearsney again replied when they moved the ball quickly to centre Phoka Mchunu who went through a gap. Odendaal added the extra for a 40-26 lead.

Reinhardt Nel completed the scoring with a try in the last second, again converted by Cross and a final score of 40-33, which included 11 tries in the exciting game, a fitting end to the 11th Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival.

Point scorers:

Kearsney: Tries Reid Stuart, Taine Polzi, Christo Scheepers, Derick Marshall, Taine Muirhead, Phoka Mchunu; Conversions Jacques Odendaal (5)

Pretoria: Tries Sithembiso Motkletsa, Aiden Olivier, Kgala Mothomogolo (2), Reinhardt Nel; Conversions Justin Cross (4)


Leave a Reply


  1. avatar
    #55 AbsolutMenlo

    Congrats to HTS Middelburg 2/3 !! Go Noord!

    2 April, 2018 at 17:07
  2. avatar
    #54 AbsolutMenlo

    @beet: Great game! Well done both teams. Drostdy well balanced side … strong upfront with plenty of skill and speed between the backs. Team to watch!

    2 April, 2018 at 17:03
  3. avatar
    #53 beet

    Kearsney scores via their hooker Reid Stuart. Positive play by Kearsney coupled with defensive errors under pressure by PBHS cause the ball to spill loose in the ingoal area. Fullbackl converts. 7.0.

    Kearsney pins Boys’ High back. The home team scores a second try when flank Taine Polzi plants the ball over the line after being tackled short. 12-0.

    PBHS stirke back with an intercept try by Sithembiso Matlaletsa. Its converted by fullback Justin Cross. 12-7.
    Kearsney pressurises PBHS into conceding a 5m scrum. Big centre Derick Marshall bumps a would-be tackler out the way and uses his frame to power on and over to score. Odendall converts. 19-7.

    After halftime Kearsney scores first when Muirhead makes a pass out wide to Christo Scheepers that beats the defence. Aided by a man outside him as a decloy Scheepers dummies and finishes. Odendaal converts. 26-7

    Boys High are not prepared to go down without a fight. They soon have some driving plays to get close to the line before spreading the ball wide where “KG” Mothomogolo crosses in the corner. Cross converts. 26-14.

    Boys’ High make the most of Kearsney’s errors. They reduce the gap to 26-19 with their third try scored by scrumhalf Ruan van Rooyen after a series of pick and drives near the tryline.

    Kearsney set up a lineout after being awarded a penalty. They attacked the big blindside from the 2nd phase ball. Odendaal eyed a gap and glided through before giving good ball to Muirhead who cut inside the last defender to score. Odendaal added the extras. 33-19.

    It looked like the match was safe with 5 min left to play but PBHS continued on and pressurised their opponents into making a poor exit which they returned to score via loosie KG again. 33-26 after Cross converted.

    Kearsney had a response of their own. Centre Phoka Mchunu initially combined with Odendaal to get over the advantage line. A bit later. in the move he backed himself close to the line. Odendaal found his kicking boots and made it 40-26.

    The match concluded with big prop Reinhardt Nel bulldozing his way over for a Pretoria Boys’ High try on fulltime. Cross slotted the kick.

    Fulltime Kearsney 40 Pretoria Boys’ High 33

    2 April, 2018 at 16:58
  4. avatar
    #52 beet

    Selborne make a fired up startand after controlling the opening exchanges by going though small ground gaining phases, its Thomas Bursey who lands a penalty. 3-0.

    Selborne improve the lead with a super team try. The ball goes wide to #11 Mntungwa Mapantsela who outstrips the defence on the outside and feeds it in to centre Sibabalwe Xamlashe to score. Bursey converst to make it 10-0.

    Another Bursey penalty makes it 13-0.

    Selborne retain their intensity and increase their grip on the match when exposive prop Shakeel Naidoo bursts through a tackle and scores under the posts. Drostdy who started the match as favourites are being reduced to permannent defenders at this stage as they cannot get their hands on the ball. 20-0.

    Drostdy compose themselves and fight back. A good take at an attacking lineout set up via a penalty, produces an equally good flat pass by 9 Luciano Elias to his flank Heinrich Naude in space to run in. 20-5.

    Naude scores a second try. The build up is completely different. Selborne’s kick long is secured by Drostdy fullback Cohen Jasper who sets off on an exciting return carry. He links up and his team advance the ball up field via a couple of phases before it lands in the hands of flashy flyhalf Shaun Baxter who uses his speed and footwork to line break and feed to Naude. Baxter converts. 20-12.

    After halftime Selborne bumped up their lead to 23-12 once Bursey slotted a penalty.

    A high tackle sinbinning reduces Selborne to 14 players. Drostdy opt to kick for the corner. A clean take near the front by Naude, allows the Bolanders to set a good formation driving maul and 16 Stefan Schwartz crashes over. 23-17.

    A fourth Bursey penalty moves Selborne to a two score lead of 26-17.

    Drostdy has a backline that can attack from anywhere on the field and it was proven wiht the next try. A good wrap around by 13 Christie Grobbelaar allowed him to race into space and pass to his quick wing Adrian Mans, who puts on the afterburners and adds to it with a sublime pass to his fullback Jasper on the inside. The try is converted by Baxter to narrow the gap to just 26-24 with a little over 10 minutes to play.

    The match produces an exciting a finish as anyone could have hoped for. Drostdy have a couple of lineouts near the Selborne line and are repelled in their efforts to drive over the line. After the second maul and with time up on the clock they manage to free up the ball and distribute it out to the left wing who is stopped by a brilliant tackle on the line by Selborne wing Jarod Ramsay. However the Donkeys recycle the ball and force their way over in the left corner via Keane Galant.

    The fantastic match ends 29-26 in favour of Drostdy.

    2 April, 2018 at 15:43
  5. avatar
    #51 beet

    Shakur La Douce the DHS flyhalf landed a penalty to get DHS off the mark. 3-0.

    An error by Dale while attempting to keep a kick in play inside their own 22m resulted in a 5m scrum to DHS. No. Celimpilo Gumede broke off the back and made good yards. From the recylced ball prop Mthokzisi Gumede crashed over. La Douce converted. 10-0.

    DHS were soon back on the attack, having used kicking out of hand to good effect to pin Dale back. Dale had made another error while in their red zone to afford DHS a very good attacking platform. First flank Asande Mnguni used his low centre of gravity to forge a path towards the line. It was then the turn of scrummie Jaydian Cedares to make a Aaron Smith-like pass to find lock Setjhaba Mathuse unmarked in the line-up on the blind near the tryline. 15-0.

    In virtually no time at all DHS’s kicking game earned them another try. A kick into the box had Zethembe Mbonambi getting the ball first on the bounce and he had the strength and presence of mind to seek out #15 Mcneil Jenner, who used a handoff to help beat the last line defender and score. 20-0.

    DHS precision coupled with Dale errors presented the next try scoring position to the Durban school. From a 5m scrum tall no.8 Celimpilo Gumede picked up at the back and showed good pace and determination to get the separation and momentum required to cross the line at a diagonal angle. La Douce succeeded with the relatively easy kick to close the scoring for the half at 27-0 to DHS.

    DHS took their foot off the pedal, while Dale continuted to be their own worst nightmare on attack. It took all of 20 min into the second half to register the first score which came from DHS no.8 Gumede following up his own kick and chase when Dale had no one at the back. A favourable bounce in the ingoal area provided him with the right line to dive on the ball first. La Douce tapped over the extra 2. 34-0.

    DHS are capable of playing the old school running rugby and when the opportunity presents itself they exploit a situation to put #15 Macneil Jenner away on a break. He gets deep into enemy territory and after his input the ball goes through a few set of hands until la Douce is the end recipient on the left wing to finish in the corner. 39-0.

    For Dale a second humbling 39-0 defeat. Not for lack of effort on their part but their error rate was too high on the day. DHS can take a bow. They completed a surprising grand slam of the Border powerhouses, after beating Selborne and Queen’s and now Dale at the festival.

    2 April, 2018 at 14:28
  6. avatar
    #50 beet

    HTS Middelburg dominated the early part of the match and were first to score via their standout flank Juandre Odendaal who showed his upperbody strength as he held off defenders close to the line and scored the opener which fullback Morne Sonnekus converted.

    Queen’s reply was a memorable one. From a standing position way behind the advantage line #14 flyhalf Mandilakhe Sibeko dinked a beaut over the advancing defence. It was collected by QC #16 centre who almost held on too long but managed to get a good pass away to flank Chumani Gatyeni in the end. That try made it 7-5 in favour of HTS.

    When an HTS exit failed to find the safety of touch, phase one ball was well used by centre Tyulu who ran down the left touchline and finding his wing Liyabona Maku on the inside line switch. The pass was outstanding and helped beat the defence. The conversion was by their 9 Aviwe Kanuka.

    There was a bit of exciting counter-attacks by both sides just before halftime. Queen’s led 12-7 at the break.

    HTS regained the lead in style when a set move off a scrum saw their centre PJ de Beer make a worthy offload in midfield to a charging and unstoppable Odendaal. Sonnekus’ kick made it 14-12.

    The halftime pep talk really worked wonders for HTS Middelburg. Their urgency was way up. A horrible mistake overthrow at a lineout just 5m from their own line gifted the HTS hooker Edwin Till with an easy try. A very good kick by Sonnekus made it 21-12.

    QC were not helping their own cause. Another lineout inaccuracy found the same Rooibul player at back. His carry placed HTS firmly back on the attack and minutes later Odendaal powered over for his second try, which was goaled by Sonnekus to extend the lead to 28-12.

    HTS were still in full throttle. They got back into the redzone and built their next through phase play. A over the top long pass by Sonnekus to the lock Franco Fourie who crossed for the converted try. 35-12.

    Queen’s finished the match with a nice try. They channelled the ball to players in space to allow #17 Odwa Mkhefa to round off under the posts. 35-17 to complete the match scoring.

    2 April, 2018 at 13:23
  7. avatar
    #49 beet

    Framesby grabbed an early lead via their 10 Juandre Liebenberg who slipped into a hole after a good decision to back himself. He converted his own try to put the Port Elizabeth school 7-0 up.

    Noord-Kaap missed a long kick at goal to open their account.

    Framesby went through a few phases before their 9 Andre Gerber worked a little magic to stab the ball through off the side of his blog, allowing his wing Sebastian Brandt to chase it into the ingoal area in the left corner where the bounce undid the defender and the Framesby player fell on it. 12-0.

    Noord-Kaap’s first points came via their 10 DS van Niekerk who kicked over a penalty which came their way coupled with a yellow card issued to a Framesby player. 12-3.

    it didn’t take long for that score to become 15-3 when Liebenberg kicked a penalty.

    Framesby forced the errors and continued to pressurise. Finally their scrumhalf identified the room out side and sent a long pass the way of their centre Brandt who had enough momentum to cross the white chalk. 20-3.

    Noord-Kaap’s response was a splendid try. The ball was worked intelligently though the hands and this allowed them to use the overlap on the left, where draw and pass to players on good lines, opened the route to the line for Tian Swanepoel to outsprint the cover and found off. 20-8.

    After halftime, Framesby enjoyed playing the match in the right part of the field. The onslaughts led to space and good work between 7 De Set Erasmus and 6 Christo Grobler who was becoming more prominent in go-forward play, resulted in the latter scoring in the right corner. 25-8.

    Noord-Kaap made far too many basic handling errors while trying to pass the ball down the line. One such mistake resulted in a turnover which Framesby turned into 5-points. It was again their flank Grobler who had started the play by winning the turnover who produced the critical carry after busting a tackle. Off the ground he popped the ball to 12 Monrey Potgieter who scored. 30-8.

    That’s how things finished.

    2 April, 2018 at 12:00
  8. avatar
    #48 beet

    KERF day 3

    Glenwood 10 with pass to 22 to put him on outside of defender clise to line. 7.0

    Glenwood started well.and fominated forward exchanges. Welkom Gim found their own continuity after 10min or so. They csme close via a rolling maul and then a penalty which struck the upright.

    Welkom Gim reduced the deficit to 7-3 with a penalty by their 10 Davids. They deserved points after a period in which they enjoyed the lion’s share of P&T.

    Glenwood added a penalty of their own via 22 Pretorius to lead 10-3.

    On halftime, the influencial Glenwood pivot struck again. Glenwood had come close in the preceding move and were adjusted held up. From the 5m scrum the. flyhalf backed him and dodged a few tackled before placing the ball over the line while being jersey tugged by a couple of opponents.

    17-3 at halftime.

    Glenwood kept up the heat and it wasn’t long before their scrumhalf Hendrikse dived over shortly after a scrum near the line. Pretorius made an outstanding conversion. 24-3.

    Glenwood had the game well under control, making Him live off scraps. In a final assault, Gim manager to turnover ball on their own line. With an overlap on the blindside, they surprisingly chose to kick ahead with no one at home at the back. What seemed like a poor decision paid off as the ball stayed in field and bounced awkwardly for Glenwood, allowing left wing Marno April to toe it ahead, collect and score under the posts. Gim 10 April converted to add a bit of respectability to the fulltime score at 24-10

    2 April, 2018 at 10:47
  9. avatar
    #47 Playa

    @beet: I’ll gladly forget the scoreline and choose to remember the improved performance. Our boys were always up against it against a formidable Glenwood side.

    Tough one ahead against DHS tomorrow. End with a bang boys!

    1 April, 2018 at 20:13
  10. avatar
    #46 Dixon’s

    Very good crowd considering how miserable the weather was. i got soaked, but enjoyed the rugby that the boys tried to play in sometimes horrendous conditions!

    31 March, 2018 at 21:34
  11. avatar
    #45 beet

    An early try from a set move by Selborne as 13 comes from deep inside line and catches a wonderful behind the back arm rolling pass from 15 who is playing flyhalf. 10 converts. 7.0 .

    10 playing scrumhalf soon makes it 10.0.

    A very very determined Selborne sustains the pressure, meaning virtually the entire game is being played in and around the HTS Middelburg 22m. The assaults come thick and fast. After being denied the East Londoners score 2 tries in quick succession via 1 and 19. Numerous players add value to the cause in the lead ups to the tries but decisive blows come via 15 and 12 in the respective buildups. 22.0

    Selborne increases the lead to 27.0 via a 2nd try by 13, started by a quick tap and go by one of his teammates.

    HTS are not a team known to give up. Their best moments of the half come just before the break when 11 evades a tackle and sets off on a good run giving the pass to his captain who body checks a defender and progresses forward. A bad pass into touch in the redzone undoes all the good work.

    27.0 at halftime.

    30.0 with another penalty by 10.

    A good long run by the Rooibulle left wing results in a try for the persistent and pacy player. The kick is good by 23. 30.7.

    33.7 compliments of another Selborne penalty by their trusted kicker.

    Relentless never say stuff by HTS seeing more phyiscality introduced into their play and with it more continuity. Eventually their commitment and love for their jersey pays off with a try by 6 off a quick tap start. 23 goals it. 33.14.

    Try by 15 HTS after they turn over ball near their own 22m and use carries and football skills to get it 70m+ to the goalline.

    Final score. 33-19

    31 March, 2018 at 17:20
  12. avatar
    #44 beet

    Drostdy totally dominant the opening 10 minutes. From a kick that WG struggle to control Drostdy gets a 5m scrum. They used the T&P well as the highly rated 13 finds the outside shoulder of his marker and glides through to score. 10 converts. 7.0.

    Gim forced an error and at the scrum were awarded a penalty which 10 landed. 7.3.

    The Drostdy captain at 8 then wins his side a holding penalty which his 10 duly converts to up the lead to 10.3.

    Soon after the kickoff W/Gim gets another scrum penalty as the HTS prop struggles to stay straight. The outcome is the same as their shot at goal before. 10.6.

    The penalty trading continued but this time the Drostdy pivot’s radar was off.

    Halftime was 10.6. Drostdy squandered a valuable chance to grow their lead before the break when a poor pass to the unmarked wing wasnt held close to the line. It was a start-stop kind of half.

    Another close call. 15 of Drostdy is stopped short of the line following a counterattack in which 13 producing an inspiring run. On the line at the fringe of a drive, Drostdy cough up the ball.

    Another decisive inward cutting run into the 22m by Drostdy 13 is the starting point of their try. 6 does good wrestling work in traffic. The ball is freed from the ruck and moved quickly left where 19 rounds off in the corner. 15.6

    Gim strike back very quickly. A player on the far side in the low visibility mist breaks a tackle and that initiative paves the way for their 14 to set off on a very good try finishing run. 15.11

    Yet another scrum penalty awarded to Gim results in a yellow and 3 points their way. 15.14 with 4 min to go.

    Near the death Drostdy freed up a ball at ruck in enemy territory and came up with the speed and handling quality needed to give their replacement 6 flank some clear air to sprint up the right touchline and use his momentum to get over. A good conversion by 10 made it 22.14.

    That’s how it ended. Not a match that quite lived up to the hype after what both teams had delivered on Thursday but nevertheless a tough hard fought battle in adverse conditions.

    31 March, 2018 at 15:49
  13. avatar
    #43 beet

    Glenwood struck early via their outstanding 9. 3.0. Dale looked far better than they did on Thursday, when they were neutralised and struggled to get out of the blocks on most of their attacking plays.

    Glenwood 5 powered his way over for the 1st try. It was just reward as to get matters going he had won the valued turnover which coupled with an excellently placed box kick by 9 saw Glenwood receiving a 5m scrum. 9 converted to make it 10.0.

    Another penalty made it 13.0.

    Dale could not open their account shortly thereafter ehen they missed a relatively simple kick at goal.

    Glenwood 15 collected a kicked ball at the back and a wonderful stepping run by #22 was the spark of a lovely try. The offload he made to support runner 20 was good who in turn made an even better pass to 9 to score. 18.0.

    The next player for Glenwood to start and end a promising passage of of play was their hooker. He tore away off a ruck, broke a tackle and motored towards the 22m. Glenwood set a lineout near the corner after being awarded a penalty. A set move started with the throw going to 18 at the back of the lineout who while in the air missiled the ball forward to the grounded 5 who almost went through the hole in middle of thr fracturing setpiece but was well contained just short. The 2 then powered over. 9 added the extras making it 25.0 at the break.

    Dale had played a decent half of rugby without rewards. Glenwood without producing the high tempo had intelligently and systematically broken doen their opponents and turned territory into points.

    Glenwood no.8 produced a gem of a try as he dodged several players on a 40m weaving run to the line. 32.0 with the kick.

    Glenwood 12 got away with the sort of diagonal run that often gets punished, resulting in an effective contribution towards the try scored in the left corner by the 14. Another good kick and it was 39.0.

    A gallant effort by Dale. Improvement on their Thursday form but unfortunately for them they came up against one of the best teams in the country.

    Final score 39.0

    31 March, 2018 at 14:31
  14. avatar
    #42 beet

    Kearsney 15 opens the score after a move off the set piece which sees 10 hold drift and distribute as dumbie runners keep NK midfielders guessing. 5.0

    Noord-Kaap 9 is heavily involved in the equaliser. First he sets off on a useful diagonal run from a quick tap penalty and produces an offload to get his team to within the 22. From an ensuing scrum he gets passed the ball by his no.8 and attacks the channel with success evading tackles to score. 5.5 Earlier NK had missed a sitter of a try when their wing dropped a pass with the line beckoning.

    Kearsney fought back after a NK mistake from the kickoff. They put the hammer down but NK repelled the home team’s efforts to cross for a try. The KC 15 then landed a long shot at goal after a period in which NK did not get out of their half. 8.5. Half time

    NK 10 slotted a long range penalty to level matters at 8.8 shortly after the break at 8.8.

    KC then missed a couple of really close chances to score 5-pointers via 7 amd 11 before they missed another penalty shot at goal. However the sustained pressure coupled with NK failing to obtain clean possession eventually culminated in a rolling maul try by 2. This happened while NK had a man in the bin.

    13.8 became 13.11 as NK 10 used his rangy boot to good effect after KC were reduced to 14 following a tip tackle yellow card.

    Kearsney got the breathing room their efforts deserved thanks to a try by their no.8 captain who received an accurate cutout pass from the highly influential and talented fullback. The 15 converted to make it 20.11, a 2 score lead.

    A bit uncharacteristically NK couldn’t get their quick and potentially dangerous line into the game much in the 2nd half when bodies began to tirer. KC dominated the half.

    Final score 20.11

    31 March, 2018 at 13:10
  15. avatar
    #41 beet

    Queen’s started with far far more purpose than their last game vs PBHS which they lost and was a bit of a dull affair. The urgency and strike running lead to line breaks and eventually a good carry and offload in the mist put 10 away for a good opening try. Converted to lead 7.0.
    DHS struck back with a penalty while another shortly after hit the bar.
    The mist was so bad it was impossible to see the far side of the field.
    DHS were beginning to seize the initiative and started to dominate P&T.
    DHS hit the lead after QC tried to run ball out of redzone and lost control as it poppped out the side of the ruck and 6 pounced and ran in easily to get a soft try. It was just reward for the sustained pressure though. 10.7
    DHS relied more on kicking in the second half and after playing a lot of the match in the QC half they extended their lead via a well taken try by their 15 in which the utility back wearing 9 had done excellent assist work. The try was the end result of a series of penalties in favour of DHS who surprisingly managed to manufacture the try in spite of a man in the bin. 17.7
    15 DHS scores as their 8 comes up with a succession of valued carries as part of the effort to get his team into opposition territory. 15 jinks well close to the line and beats a tackle to score. 24.7
    DHS 10 has kicked well
    DHS wins 24.7

    31 March, 2018 at 12:01
  16. avatar
    #40 beet

    In wet conditions Framesby held a lead of 6-0. PBHS fought back and scored 10 points in a row to go into the lead. This included a wrap around try by their no.10. Going behind seemed to motivate Framesby. They scored a team try via no.10 after excellent build up work. This gave them back the lead at 13.10 whixh they clung to and finished off the stonger of the two teams.

    31 March, 2018 at 10:53
  17. avatar
    #39 Skopgraaf243

    Can always have them role some polony!

    31 March, 2018 at 10:44
  18. avatar
    #38 Bush

    @Playa: Those medics run like Playas

    31 March, 2018 at 07:58
  19. avatar
    #37 McCulleys Workshop

    @Playa: Don’t confuse bush, we are working on the difference between a scrub hare and a spring hare.

    31 March, 2018 at 00:16
  20. avatar
    #36 Playa

    @Bush: Maybe they should shave their legs

    30 March, 2018 at 23:17
  21. avatar
    #35 Greenman

    @Bush: agree to disagree. loveit. :mrgreen:

    30 March, 2018 at 22:01
  22. avatar
    #34 The O

    @Dixon’s: Don’t think we’re ready for the The Green Machine…. yet.

    30 March, 2018 at 16:30
  23. avatar
    #33 Bush

    @McCulleys Workshop: Was a problem here at the Saints Festival. The medic during Bishops vs Grey game was chased back to his box by the ref. You should have seen how hard it was for him to stay in that confined space.

    30 March, 2018 at 15:59
  24. avatar
    #32 McCulleys Workshop

    @Bush: Bush, we’ll let you loose on the medics.

    30 March, 2018 at 12:04
  25. avatar
    #31 Bush

    Lekker Greenman, there was nothing wrong with refs calls in GW game. I thought he had a fantastic game. The best ref at the festival. Maybe MJ must make a comeback??????What needs to stop are the teams medics running up and down the side line shouting at the ref.

    30 March, 2018 at 07:01
  26. avatar
    #30 Skopgraaf243

    Dissimal start for Kearsney as hosts for their festival against a unrated HTS Middelburg getting their first win for the season beating Kearsney by 1.
    Exciting things happening at PretoriaBH and looks like its already paying off.
    Good win for Glenwood against first non-KZN :mrgreen: side Drostdy.
    Im sure Drostdy will bounce back from this one.
    Good wins for Framesby and DHS. expected more from Selborn though.

    30 March, 2018 at 06:58
  27. avatar
    #29 Greenman

    Ek kannie glo daar is nog mense wat glo dat alle skole nie beurse gee nie. almal doen op een of ander manier. Noem dit wat julle wil. Selfde gesprek met n Affie gehad. nee,nee ons gee niks. Dis n joke! :)

    29 March, 2018 at 17:21
  28. avatar
    #28 Greenman

    @chief: o ja. hulle gee hokkie stokke :lol:

    29 March, 2018 at 17:14
  29. avatar
    #27 Greenman

    @chief: ons moet under 15 d opbou! :lol:

    29 March, 2018 at 17:10
  30. avatar
    #26 chief


    In die vorms van 20 plus, nee hulle doen nie. ?

    Ek hoop dit is ‘n goeie jaar vir julle.

    29 March, 2018 at 17:07
  31. avatar
    #25 Greenman

    @chief: great! Grey gee mos nie beurse nie! :mrgreen:

    29 March, 2018 at 17:04
  32. avatar
    #24 Playa

    Huge result for DHS getting a win over Selborne

    29 March, 2018 at 16:12
  33. avatar
    #23 Quagga

    Nothing new. Ideal opportunity to view and attract talent. They do it every year.

    29 March, 2018 at 15:50
  34. avatar
    #22 chief


    Nee die nuwe recruiter gee dit uit soos sweeties tussen die U13’s

    29 March, 2018 at 15:40
  35. avatar
    #21 BrotherBear

    @Greenman: I also have a problem with poor refereeing and believe much much more should be done to improve in this field.

    29 March, 2018 at 14:34
  36. avatar
    #20 Greenman

    @chief: Is daar min beurse 8-O

    29 March, 2018 at 14:24
  37. avatar
    #19 Greenman

    Doesnt take much to please you then! It was##$_ :roll:

    29 March, 2018 at 14:06
  38. avatar
    #18 chief


    Ek het julle span die week gesien oefen by Glenwood en moet sê die span lyk nie sleg nie. Ek is egter verras met die aantal beurse wat julle beskikbaar het vir volgende jaar se Graad 8 seuns.

    29 March, 2018 at 14:05
  39. avatar
    #17 Greenman

    @beet: realy?

    29 March, 2018 at 14:05
  40. avatar
    #16 beet

    Really enjoyed the last match of Glenwood vs Drostdy. Glenwood had to front up against a meatier pack and came out thumbs up. Drostdy surprisingly made a few passes that didn’t stick.

    29 March, 2018 at 13:53
  41. avatar
    #15 Greenman

    @BrotherBear: no sour grapes as we won but this man just knows how to frustrate the hell out of Glenwood by slowing down the game, unfair advatages. ffs Does he get out of and goes ” Revenge again” GW must have f up somewhere in his life

    29 March, 2018 at 13:40
  42. avatar
    #14 BrotherBear

    @Greenman: ask @Rugbyman for advice on refs. He knows best.

    29 March, 2018 at 13:22
  43. avatar
    #13 Greenman

    can somebody just get rid of this ref! He has been a nightmare through all my years at Glenwood and continues to show his hatred for Glenwood. FFS

    29 March, 2018 at 13:16
  44. avatar
    #12 Playa

    @QC86: They look like they’re going to kill all three of their opponents at that festival

    29 March, 2018 at 12:14
  45. avatar
    #11 Playa

    @QC86: Eish!
    They threw away a good come back

    29 March, 2018 at 12:04
  46. avatar
    #10 QC86

    glenwood are going to kill Drostdy,me thinks

    29 March, 2018 at 12:03
  47. avatar
    #9 QC86

    @Playa: that was the final score :oops: :oops: :oops:

    29 March, 2018 at 12:01
  48. avatar
    #8 beet

    Pretoria BH had good structure. They used their fwds well to create go fwd and set some useful platforms but from their theybreeally had no X factor in their backline to go anywhere. Queen’s were pretty unstructured but proved to be competive thanks to determined defence. They struggled with their linking though. 14-10 final score with Boys High scoring 2 penalties at the end after QC had bounced back from 8-0 down via 2 good tries.

    29 March, 2018 at 12:00
  49. avatar
    #7 Playa

    What was the Queens vs Boys High final score? My livestream cut with 5 minutes of play left and the score 10 – 14 to Candies.

    29 March, 2018 at 11:59
  50. avatar
    #6 Quagga

    @beet: Rooi Bulle full value for sticking to the task at hand. Expressed my concern about Kearsney to an old boy recently and they seem to share it, but they seriously need to get some forward momentum in their game. Very poor display today as hosts and certainly not what that festival needs. Hope they pull it together as a team soon.

    29 March, 2018 at 11:06
  51. avatar
    #5 beet

    I’ve watched 3 Kearsney games this season and they have conceded late points in all 3 after appearing to have secured the match. Today vs HTS Middelburg they again surrendered a comfortable lead and then could not hold out. 2 turnovers. One from scrum and other from pass in midfield gave a strong finishing HTS all they needed. Sandwiched in between KC had a chance to score points of their own but inaccuracies didn’t help. Also kicking at goal proved vital. Liked HTS loosie Odendaal.

    29 March, 2018 at 10:55
  52. avatar
    #4 Dixon’s

    Stuck at work. but watching over Youtube. Heartbreaking for Kearsney!

    29 March, 2018 at 10:45
  53. avatar
    #3 Dixon’s

    @The O: I would have loved to have seen a game between The Candies and The Green Machine!

    29 March, 2018 at 10:44
  54. avatar
    #2 The O

    @Dixon’s: I obviously support the “Candies”, but think Glenwood vs Drostdy will be the pick of the games on Thursday.

    27 March, 2018 at 11:43
  55. avatar
    #1 Dixon’s

    Not the best lineup of teams that this festival has ever put out. but still a few nice fixtures to make the drive up Fields Hill worthwhile.

    26 March, 2018 at 15:15

Leave a Reply